If a power line falls on a car, you should stay inside the car.
- Warn others outside the vehicle not to touch it or the power line and for them to stay a safe distance away.
- Call 911 immediately.
- The only circumstance where you should get out of the vehicle is if it is on fire.
- DO NOT step out of the vehicle but JUMP FREE of the vehicle, so that your body clears the vehicle before touching the ground.
- Electricity spreads out through the ground in ripples, like a stone dropped in water. The voltage is highest in the ring closest to the vehicle and decreases with distance.
- Hop with feet together so that one foot won't be in a higher voltage zone than the other, which could make you a conductor for electricity.